Offer your lead magnets to your visitors and turn them into highly engaged subscribers. But how? In this article, I’m sharing with you a step-by-step guide that helps you set up your lead magnet funnels easily!
What is a lead magnet email follow-up sequence?
Lead generation is part of the big picture, especially for B2B companies. One of the most-used tactics is offering a free giveaway, a lead magnet on a web page and asking for contact information in return.
But all alone downloading a free resource is not enough. Marketers know that they have to set up marketing funnels to help subscribers move down the funnel.
Therefore I share an easy-to-copy and effective email follow-up sequence that consists of 1 welcome email and a reminder if someone doesn’t download the lead magnet. It looks like this:
How the lead magnet funnel works
The lead magnet should be interesting, highly specific for your visitors. The purpose is to “sell” this document for contact information (I would say this is the currency you use at this stage).
The needed technology, to put the funnel together:
- landing page builder (e.g. Unbounce or/and WordPress)
- ebook builder (e.g. Designrr or Word)
- email marketing automation solution (e.g. Automizy)
This is the recommended process you should follow to set it up faster:
- Check your best-performing articles on your blog (or search for Quora questions)
If you run a blog, you can easily check the best performing topics and articles. You just have to install this free dashboard to your blog’s analytics and you’re good to go!
But if you don’t have a blog yet, just go to Quora and search for questions that are interesting for your possible prospects.
- Write and design your lead magnet
Now that you have blog articles and questions, you just have to repurpose your content and add some extra info to it. Or just turn them into lead magnets right away!
Designrr is the recommended tool if you want to do it faster and easier. But of course, you can go with the Office Word solution too but keep in mind that it will require a little design knowledge.
- Setup your landing page
You can use WordPress or Unbounce to create your landing page that “sells” your free content. Usually, it consists of a sales page (where you have a form for collecting contact information) and a thank you page, which is shown when a visitor gives you the necessary information.
We don’t recommend to show there the download link for the ebook, send it in your welcome email instead!
Now that you have the basics for your marketing funnel, the time has come to add the lead magnet follow-up sequence!
Sending welcome emails is a very important part because this is where you can lead the traffic to a more personal channel from your web page: to the mailbox.
Guide to set up your lead magnet email follow-up sequence
Things you need to have to get started with it:
- free giveaway (hosted on WordPress or anywhere on the web)
- WordPress site + sign-up form or Unbounce landing page
Step 1: Send contact information to the email marketing software
When you have the landing page for your lead magnet, you can connect it with Automizy easily: you can build a form and insert it, detect your existing HTML form on your webpage or you can use integration (if you use Unbounce).
In this example, I’m showing you how to build a form in Automizy but it’s similar in almost every marketing automation tool.
- Choose new sign-up form
- Add a name (I recommend to add the “leadmagnet_[name of the leadmagnet]” name to your form to help you identify it later)
- Customize your header and body text, make sure it fits your main message
- Add a “First Name” field to the form (the email field is there by default)
- Customize the look of your fields
- Customize your CTA button
Step 2: Build the follow-up sequence with an email for subscribers
- Create a new automation, add a name that you will be able to identify later
- Choose the form you created as a trigger
- Add a tag: “Leadmagnet name” (it will help you segment your contact list based on their interests)
- Add an email sending action and customize one of the templates
The main CTA should be linked to the URL where you host your lead magnet (it is usually a WordPress site).
- Add a “Wait for 1 day” action
- Add a Condition box to check whether the subscriber downloaded your lead magnet or not
- If yes, add a tag “leadmagnet name_downloaded” (it will help you identify highly engaged leads and send them targeted messages)
- If no: send the email again!
- Once again add a “wait for 1-day” action
- Add a new Condition to check whether the subscribers downloaded the lead magnet or not
- If yes, add a tag “leadmagnet name_downloaded”
- If no, add a tag “leadmagnet name_not-downloaded”
This easy-to-use workflow helps you collect engagement data about your subscribers and also allows you to send emails based on behavior.
Later on, you will be able to segment people whether they downloaded your lead magnet or not that can be a very good segmentation strategy to send personalized emails.
The most important and best aspect of this follow-up sequence that it can be used for multiple lead magnets.
You just have to use this follow-up sequence for every lead magnet you have and after activation, you will have very valuable data about your contacts and the lead magnet itself:
- who are interested in what lead magnets,
- which lead magnets performing better,
- and who actually downloaded the lead magnets they were interested in and who didn’t.
Create this email sequence easily in Automizy. Get started for free now!
Viktor is a rock star guitar hero who loves climbing to new heights. He began self educating on topic of inbound marketing while in university. He is Co-Founder and CMO at Automizy. Eager to learn more about the marketing automation challenges companies face and help them achieve their business goals efficiently.